Alright, it may be just my family who got schnitzel for dinner every other night, but I am not at all upset about it. Sure, we could have skipped the frying part, but with no oil involved in my familys cooking, it just wasn't a proper morrocan/israeli meal. I am walking on a very thin line between my family being impressed by the healthy version, or pretty offended by it, sorry safta.
This is my "modern" take on the traditional Schnitzel dish you have seen, tried, and made, except with some major twists. First of all, no oil involved, you can thank me later. Secondly, it is sweet & spicy, perfectly crispy & sticky all at once. The flavor is just so well balanced, not too filling and won't give you that greasy feeling afterwards. Down below you will find the ingredients you need, and how to make it yourself! I highly recommend this recipe especially if you are familiar with the classic shnitzel recipe. Can't wait for your feedback xo.
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs (THINLY SLICED)
1/2 Cup Egg Wash
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 cups finely crushed corn flakes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
FOR SWEET & SPICY SAUCE
1/2 Cup honey
1/2 Cup Red Hot Sauce (I used Sriracha)
2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Add the chicken to a gallon size zip top bag. Pour the egg wash and salt over the chicken. Toss well, cover and refrigerate 20 minutes or overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
3. Add the corn flake crumbs, flour, thyme, and a pinch of salt to a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Remove each piece of chicken from the egg wash, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been used. Make sure not to crowd your pan, if necessary use two baking sheets. Lightly brush the chicken with olive oil. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, then flip the chicken over and continue cooking another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. If using thighs, you may need to cook the chicken a little longer
5. Meanwhile, make the sweet and spicy sauce. Mix together the hot sauce, honey, cayenne, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt.
5. Brush or drizzle the chicken generously with hot honey and place back in oven on BROIL for just 2-3 minutes.
serve warm & Enjoy!