One of my favorite things about shabbat, besides the food of course, is the ability to play around with my tablescapes on a weekly basis. I made these Challah Napkin Rings for one shabbat & I got so much great feedback. Not knowing that it was a 'creative' thing to do, I realized I have never seen it done before (if its not on the internet, did somebody even ever make it!?) I'm sure it has been done one time or another, but I will be the first to share it with you so you can make it yourself for your tablescapes! Please share pictures with us and tag us @homeoverhouse so I can see your own personal ones!
TO MAKE THE NAPKIN RINGS YOU WILL NEED TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
1. POUR TWO CUPS OF FLOUR IN A BOWL
2. ADD 1/2 CUP OF VEGETABLE OIL TO THE BOWL. SLOWLY ADD WATER, CONSTANTLY KNEADING IT WITH YOUR HANDS UNTIL IT IS FULLY MIXED TOGETHER & YOUR DOUGH IS SMOOTH.
3. TAKE SHEETS OF TINFOIL, AND SCRUNCH IT TOGETHER TO MAKE A 2 INCH THICK "LOG".
4. PLACE YOUR TINFOIL LOGS ON
A SHEET OF PARCHMENT PAPER.
5. BEGIN TAKING SMALL AMOUNTS OF DOUGH AND, USING THREE STRANDS, BRAID IT TO THE SIZE YOU WANT YOUR
NAPKIN RINGS TO BE (REMEMBER, THERE IS NO YEAST SO IT WILL NOT "RISE")
6. ONCE YOU FINISHED BRAIDING YOUR DOUGH, WRAP EACH ONE AROUND YOUR FOIL LOGS.
7. WHISK AN EGG IN A CUP, AND BRUSH THE DOUGH WITH THE YOLK,
SPRINKLING IT ON TOP WITH YOUR CHOICE OF TOPPING (I DID THE CLASSIC SESAME SEED TOPPING)
8. PLACE IN A 375 OVEN UNTIL IT IS LIGHTLY GOLDEN.
9. LET IT COOL COMPLETELY.
10. REMOVE THE DOUGH FROM YOUR FOIL LOGS, AND GENTLY PUT YOUR NAPKINS THROUGH THE CENTER.